Truckee Meadows Public Lands Management Act Study
We are running out of room. It’s that simple.
Over 85% of Nevada is owned by the federal government. This means that in order to continue to build the houses that we need for people to live in and the buildings that we need for people to work in and shop in and dine in, it literally takes an act of Congress to give us the land to do it.
In short, we need the federal government to turn over thousands of acres of land it owns and controls to our local governments, so that we-Northern Nevadans-can own and control them. So that we can grow responsibly and meet the needs of our future residents and workforce. So that we can have commercial spaces to enhance our economic development efforts and more houses for those new workers to live in.
The ONLY real solution to Northern Nevada’s housing crunch? The Truckee Meadows Public Lands Management Act and the various other lands bills that have been or will be introduced in Congress.
What would the Truckee Meadows Public Lands Management Act do?
- Address housing demand and affordability.
- Encourage infill development; maximize utilization of existing infrastructure.
- Fund continued preservation of open space; enhance quality of life.
- Support trail and park infrastructure enhancements (i.e. Truckee River Linear Park).
- Assist with Public Land Management; improve access to recreation and resources for land management.
- Create new additional Wilderness Areas in northern Washoe County.
- Improve local infrastructure to address growth (transit, water storage, flood management).
- Align with the Regional Plan Update.
- Ensure disposal parcels follow existing local and federal regulations and development standards.
To be clear, this bill does NOT allow development to take over every inch of open space and crowd out Nevadans from enjoying our wonderful outdoor places. It does quite the opposite. It would preserve thousands of acres of wilderness and other critical areas forever, so that future generations will be able to enjoy them. It would ensure that necessary development will be restricted to the edges of our urban centers and be well-planned.
The development and general business community will be working with conservation groups, tribal leaders, labor groups, local government representatives and our federal congressional delegation to get this across the finish line.
But we need YOU. We need you to become engaged on this vital issue. And one way to do that is to help us fund an economic impact report that will outline the benefits of this legislation, benefits for homeowners, for small business owners, for workers, for students—for all of us. It will provide us with a real-time inventory of private, developable land—how much we have left, and how long it will take until it is used up. This will put an exclamation point on the need for the federal lands bill.
Please click HERE for more information about the Truckee Meadows Public Lands Management Act.
Please click HERE to contribute to our economic impact study.
If you are interested in additional information about our economic impact study or our advocacy mission, please contact Tray Abney at email@example.com or 775.443.5561.